Thursday, January 15, 2009

A One-Sided Conversation

Job 22:27 "Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee,..."

Psalm 119:15 "I will meditate in thy precepts,..."

Have you ever had a conversation that was one-sided? Do you like having those type of conversations? Do you enjoy doing all the talking and the other person having nothing to say? Or do you like the other person doing all the talking and you not getting to say anything. Well...our Heavenly Father doesn't like it either.

So many times we will do all the talking and not give Him opportunity to speak to us. Some will only pray (us talking to Him) and not read their Bible (God's way of talking to us). Others will read and not pray. When we skip out on one of these things...we are having a one-sided conversation.

He loves to hear from us...but He also loves to talk to us. Let's not have one-sided conversations with our Father. Let's talk to Him in prayer and let's also let Him talk to us. Have you talked to Him today? Have you given Him opportunity to speak to you? I pray you've done both. If not....take time to do whatever you've not given opportunity for whether it be you talking to Him or letting Him talk to you.

9 comments:

Kristi said...

A lot of times we say we have a good relationship with the Lord. We pray! But do we listen?

Great post and reminder of what a good relationship wit Christ is all about.

~Kristi

Sis. Julie said...

Sis. Kristi...you're right. There is much more to our relationship with Christ than us doing all the talking in prayer and not taking time to read His Word and listen to what He has to say to us.

Love you!!

Mary said...

This is good, sound, biblical wisdom Julie - thanks for posting it. Your post reminds me of John 15:1-8 where Christ teaches the importance of abiding in Him, which I believe has everything to do with Bible reading and prayer. Abiding in Christ makes for a fruitful Christian, and a fruitful Christian glorifies the Father. Thanks again for your beautiful blog Julie!

Sis. Julie said...

Sis. Mary...Praise the Lord!! I'm glad you find it such a blessing. That is my prayer for my blog!!

Love you!

Heather said...

This is such a good reminder! Especially when I have something *urgent* to tell Him, I forget to just...be still and listen.

Sis. Julie said...

Sis. Heather...I think we can all say we are guilty of this now and then.

T said...

Julie,

I wanted to come here and say goodbye. I haven't been here or on my own blog in a long time. I wrote a fair well post if you want to read it. Priorities you know? I wanted to tell you what a blessing you have been to me and how your posts have touched my heart. I hope to be able to at least come every now and then to read here but if not you know why. I pray that all is well with your family and wish you all the best.

Tiffany

Sis. Julie said...

Sis. Tiffany...Thank you so much for your sweet words. I'm sorry that you are going to be leaving blogland...but I understand totally. I hope you do come back for a visit here now and then and at least let me know how you are doing. Take care and I pray for the best for you and your family as well!!

Love you!!

Unknown said...

Julie
I enjoyed your post today. I have had these types of conversations with people before but God should always get our full attention.
I hope you have great weekend.I have an award for you over at my Place.
Blessins, Lisa

VERY IMPORTANT!

Are you a good person? Take this test and find out.

Swidget 1.0 6

Audioministries.org