Thursday, March 15, 2007

We Should Practice What Is Preached

John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

We should make it a point to practice what we hear preached. To me...if the Man of God preaches it and he is preaching what God says in His Word that we should be doing then we should not question it...we should just obey!! And if you have a problem with obeying what God says just from what you have heard preached...then study it out for yourself. I know that in my Christian life there have been times that I didn't like what I was hearing that I should be doing according to the Word of God but I also love the Lord enough to want to obey Him. When God dealt with me about changing my way of dress...my flesh didn't like it but I knew it was right. (To read my testimony on this issue you can go here). God had said it in His Word. It took a man of God preaching it and showing me from God's Word what God had to say about it for me to realize that I needed to do what it said. And that is only one area that I am giving example of. There have been other areas such as music, television, going to the movies, the words I use when I am talking, etc.

How many times have you heard something preached and the preacher backed it up with Scripture and you said "That isn't for me" when in reality if it is in the Word of God then it is for you!! God is not a respecter of persons. He expects all His children to obey His commandments. He does not say "If you want to then you can" or "If you are a preacher you must obey my commandments". To me that says that if you love Him you will obey WHATEVER He says in His Word. Whether you agree or not is not the issue. To me if God says it then that settles it!! Nothing else has to be said about it. I want to be as close to Him as I possibly can be. And I want to honor and glorify Him in everything I do and everything I say. So...as for me...I'm going to obey His commandments as best I can with His help. And don't think you will always know everything there is to know about living for God. I have been saved for going on 13 years and I'm still learning.

So don't be afraid to say "Yes Lord...I will do it". That is what He wants from us anyway...a willing and obedient heart.

9 comments:

Lyndy said...

Sis Julie,

Thanks for sharing your testimony. You have some really excellent points.

Hope you are having a nice week.

Lyndy

Unknown said...

Hey there! This is yet another great post. I know there are times I get a little rebellious and think one of my sins isn't hurting anything. But I'm so happy the Holy Spirit continues to do His job! There is nothing as wonderful as being fully submitted to God!

Marsheila said...

Loved your post I had a real hard time with my dressing right for the Lord but I know it's the right thing to do.

TO BECOME said...

You are so right, Sis. Julie. When we do it God's way, the peace we recieve is worth it all. Just to know we are in God's will means everything to me. connie from Texas

CindyMae said...

What an awesome post! You are so right, we have to follow what is preached and if we have doubts, study it for ourselves. God gives us all the answers we need in the Bible, we just have to read and listen!

Karen said...

Hi,
I have enjoyed reading your posts and i can tell by reading them that you really love the Lord. God bless you.

Karen said...

Oh and i really like that counter. I am going to try to add one to my blog.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Julie this is a great post. If we would obey the Holy Spirit through the preacher I believe we would definitely face less hardships.
Bro Tim

Susannah said...

You sparked a thought today! One of my favorite verses is similar to your opening verse...

A new command I give you:
Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another...
(John 13:34-35)

Isn't it awesome that the best witness we have before unbelievers is how well we love our brothers and sisters in Christ? (And that includes our spouses.)

Jesus takes this command step further by spelling out just exactly what this commandment to love means:

My command is this:
Love each other, as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
(John 15:12-13)

What an awesome God we have! He was willing to die for us, so that we might Live! Will we all face martyrdom? No of course not, but we must be willing to "take up our cross and follow Him."

Blessings. :~)

VERY IMPORTANT!

Are you a good person? Take this test and find out.

Swidget 1.0 6

Audioministries.org