Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Are You Growing?

This post comes from a Sunday School lesson that Bro. Tim taught to the adult Sunday School class this past Sunday morning. I am using some of what he said and I'm adding some of what God showed me or spoke to me about as he was teaching the lesson. Thank you Bro. Tim for the lesson....it truly did help me!!

Psalm 1:3 "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

II Peter 3:18 "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."

Just as we grow physically each and every day...the same needs to be true about us spiritually. We can liken this growing process to a tree.

A tree needs food, water and sunlight in order to grow.

Just as the tree needs to be exposed to the s-u-n...we need to be exposed to the S-o-n. We have got to have that daily fellowship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

A tree also needs food. It feeds off the nutrients in the soul it is planted in. We also need fed from the Word of God. We get fed by reading God's Word and also by hearing it preached and taught to us. II Corinthians 9:10 "Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;"

A tree also needs water in order to grow. We need the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives to grow spiritually. I John 5:6 "This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth."

If we do no get these things on a daily basis then the same will happen with us as if the tree doesn't receive what it needs...we will wither up and die. Some wither and die quickly. A newly planted tree that doesn't have a strong root system will wither up more quickly than a tree that has developed a deep and strong root system. The deeper the roots go the stronger the tree is. When the roots go deep...that tree can withstand the stronger storms that come it's way.

The same is true in the life of a Christian. If we are stronger in the grace and knowledge of the Word of God then we can better withstand the storms and trials that come our way.

How do we get through the storms of life...by the grace and knowledge of the Lord and His Word. How can we get through these strong storms if we've not grown in God's grace and His knowledge?

If you're not spending time with God in prayer (sunlight or Sonlight) or reading God's Word (food) or letting the Holy Spirit have His way in your life (water) then you are not growing and you will be uprooted in the slightest storm you go through. You will be too weak to withstand the storm.

We need to be meditating and memorizing God's Word. That is growing in knowledge of Jesus Christ. By reading and meditating and memorizing Scripture we are learning what Christ likes and dislikes. By hiding the Word of God in our heart we can encourage ourselves in the Lord as David did. I Samuel 30:6 "And David was greatly distressed;...but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God." By doing that we can be better prepared to withstand the storm.

So....I ask you...are you growing or are you withering up and dying? If you're not doing all these things in order to grow properly...you will either not be strong enough to withstand the storms that will come your way or you will wither up and die....slowly...but surely.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs Julie I am glad the Lord spoke to your heart in Sunday School. He surely spoke to my heart that morning as I pondered upon the thought. I just know there have been times in my life that I have grown stagnant and I just know there are others like me. By the grace of God I never want to get to the point to where I wither up and die, and I realize the only way this does not happen is by Sonlight, Food, and Water spirtually.
Bro Tim

CindyMae said...

What a great post! I love how you put the part about needing the S-O-N to grow. It makes me think about our precher. He does not call Sunday, Sunday, he calls it Sonday!

Rita Loca said...

Thank you for sharing your Sunday School lesson, as one going through some "storms" right now, it was very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

This was an excellent SS lesson, Sis. Julie! If we are not growing, our fruit will show it.

chrisd said...

Thank you for posting this, SisJulie--thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Ooo I like this post, very thought provoking, thanks.

VERY IMPORTANT!

Are you a good person? Take this test and find out.

Swidget 1.0 6

Audioministries.org